Monday, December 21, 2015

Re: Merry Christmas!

Well the first week in the field is over and so much has happened.. I arrived in Virginia last Monday and we got assigned to companions on Tuesday. Elder Hudson is a great guy. He is from California and also a slightly less active family. He love to skate and eat. He said he gained 15 lbs while being out here in Virginia... And I can attest to that. The first night we get here we go to a members home and ate friend chicken, beans and creme of corn. I ate so well during dinner when she shipped out the ice cream sandwiches I couldn't finish mine. I have another story to go along with eating to much but I'll try and keep things in chronological order. So it took us about an hour to fix my bike before going tracking the first day. We decided that we would go to down town Fredericksburg and proselyte. We street contacted a little and mainly went to houses. We didn't have much luck though because after an hour of that we were going to move onto another part of town, but when we got to our bikes my tire was flat. So we had to call a member and have him come grab us. We went to a bike shop and I had to spend $50 to fix my bike. The next day we were riding back from a lesson and my companions bike tire popped also. But all is well because we lined up a ride to the bike shop today. Luckily he had another bike and we were able to get around for Saturday and Sunday. So yesterday we were invited to eat at a members house for dinner, kinda short notice. Just after we ate a late lunch. The fed us so much.. My companion compares it to the grinch when he's being force fed by the entire town. After we ate dinner we had a lesson we had to go to about two miles away and we were both just bloated as ever. So we were just in bad shape.. and right before we hit this guys block my companion said, "dude that was so much food I feel like I'm going to puke." Well I just brushed it off, but sure enough 20 seconds later I hear that miserable yaking noise. I look over and he just looks back at me and shrugs. But the funniest thing about it was we were on our bikes and moving when he did it. And after he did I was worried that he was sick, but he shrugged it off and apparently it made him feel better! Anyway I couldn't stop laughing before we got to our lesson.

So when the highlight of my week was my first placed Book of Mormon! We were tracking around our apartments and this particular complex wasn't home. But we kept knocking and soon enough we came across a guy named James and we had a really good lesson with him. He seemed very interested and hopefully he progresses soon!

That's about all that I have for now! I'll try and reply to all of your emails if I can. And if you want a faster response I'll be on email at 7:30-9:30. So that's 5:30-7:30 your time. I'm still trying to get into the swing of things here but I'm sure that's going to be the best time. And I will be able to Skype you at a members home some time this week. I'll email one of you and let you know what time I will be able to.

Love you all and hope that Christmas is great without me in Utah. Try to send me more pictures. I'll send pictures when I get to the library today. See you soon!

- Elder Caleb Gibbons

> On Dec 20, 2015, at 11:14 PM, Arla Gibbons <gibbons.arla@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Caleb!
>
> I was reminded again today at church about your talk as a neighbor came up to me and said that she never had a chance to come tell us how much she enjoyed your talk. She appreciated how "real" and difficult the choice to serve a mission can be so she was thanking you for the frank way that you put it. She also told me that she saw Sariah immediately after that meeting down the hall by the Stake offices with a primary friend. They were looking at the map with the pictures of missionaries on it and she wanted to show her friend your picture now that you were a missionary. This lady had to remind her that he hasn't left yet so his picture wouldn't be up there yet. Then this same lady said how she thinks Adam is so cute at passing the Sacrament. I was recounting all of these things at the dinner table today after church and Sariah replied "oh yes, that was me! And to Adam's complement about being cute she said "that's because he looks like a baby!" :D. We all laughed so hard!
>
> I can't wait to hear more about Fredericksburg and your companion. Where is Elder Hudson from? You are so close to Washington DC, right? From the pictures we saw on the Facebook group that Sister Wilson is keeping up, it looks like you'll be able to go to the DC temple sometime! COOL! It looks so huge! We saw some cute pictures of you and the other missionaries arriving at the airport! What a fun find so we saved some of those pics.
>
> So, do we get to look forward to a phone call, Skype or FaceTime on Christmas Day? If Skype, then do we need to set up something here at home? Just clue us in when you know more about it. I hope you're able to feel the Christmas Spirit in all of your work. I guess if you're teaching the gospel or serving in any way, you probably are! Any opportunity to play the piano yet? I just wonder if you'd be able to open up the Hymn book & play if needed. ;)
>
> I'm sure by now you know that we all went to Star Wars at the theater yesterday after being invited by Dad's client again. Now we all know who Rey & BB8 are on your wall. I don't want to make you feel sad about missing it but I should let you know that Dad got a little choked up a few times and even said as we came out of the theater, that it "actually might have been worth all of the hype!" :)
>
> We sure love you and talk about you all the time, just as much as if you were still here in Utah. Baxter still comes in the door by himself but not as often now.
>
> Have a wonderful Christmas week and know that you're loved!
>
> Lots of Love,
> Mom
>
> Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment