Monday, January 18, 2016

January 18, 2016

Almost one transfer out! And I'm still loving it. This past week was a pretty slow week for us. On Sunday, however, we went over to a members home and had dinner. We bonded with the family and after we gave them a spiritual thought the dad drove us home. On the way home he said, "Hey guys, I don't know if you know this or not but I'm actually not a member." Elder Hudson and I were speechless.. We've seen this guy and his family at church every week and he's not a member? So we started talking to him and we realized that he married into the church 17 years ago, and after he was married he started going to church and just started to make it a routine. He never really thought baptism was a necessity until his kids were baptized. So then he started to read the Book of Mormon and praying more. And after we gave his family the spiritual thought he had enough courage to tell us that he wanted to take lessons from us and get baptized as soon as he could. Super cool experiences just keep coming..

We were tracting in an area that's usually notorious for drug use, and we ran into a lady who was willing to let us in. After the first lesson she started shooting questions. And very deep doctrine questions... Some of these questions we had no idea of how to even begin answering. So we told her we would come back with some answers. After her discussion we ran into a guy named Dave who wanted us to come by later on in the week. He gave us his apartment number and his cell. Well anyway Margaret (the lady we ran into earlier) texted us later that week and said "I don't want to take discussions with you guys any more." Well it wasn't really anything new to us, but we were sad to see her leave. So Thursday night we were driving around with a member and I kept thinking of her and how to get her back with the missionaries. So I suggested running into s grocery store and getting her a gift to let her know we were thinking of her. On the way over to her place, we thought we should stop by Dave's house, and give a quick restoration lesson. So we knocked on the door and another girl opens it. Her name was Lakia. We asked for Dave and he wasn't there, he was at his moms house. Lakia and Dave were siblings, and Margaret was their mom! So we talked to Lakia and got her super interested and she told us to come back when she wasn't so busy. We ran over to Margarets house and sure enough to ran into Dave. We ended up giving Margaret the gift and taught them both a quick and very powerful lesson. She told us that she was grateful that we didn't give up on her.

Cool experiences like those keep coming! We've been trying to get more and more people set on date for baptism and it is working! However I'm definitely starting to feel the stress of missionary work. So I'm working on it right now, trying to figure out what's stressing me out, but I think I'm starting to get over it. My companion suggested taking long hot showers but I don't believe that will help me (He takes the longest showers ever). But I'll figure it out and get over it. Well that's all for this week! I hope all is well and the sickness goes away... That's not fun that is happening. We got our first snow of the year yesterday in Virginia, so that was definitely fun! And there is rumor that we may get a car..... So keep that in your prayers because we need one! And no I will not hit any deer with the mission car. Stay warm, stay healthy and stay safe. Love you lots!

- Elder Caleb Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment