Monday, January 11, 2016

January 11, 2016

Well I have a lot to write about but so little time to write it all! I hope all is well over there in Utah. I'll share a quick experience and then I have to go. This last week we had to go to return and report, which is basically a see how you're doing type of thing for the trainees, we had a chance to go street contacting out in Richmond. So I was able to be companions with an Elder I came out with.we were walking the streets of VCU and went to a park called Monroe Park. And if I can sum it up it was basically homeless housing. So we walked through and met some cool people but no one was really that interested. Now we ran into three guys on a bench all sharing a cigarette. We started to talk to them and immediately one of the guys started yelling at us, saying we are a cult, we worship Joseph Smith, The Book of Mormon is a fake book, and all of this basically made up garbage. My companion fought back with him for about 5 minutes while I didn't want to hang around all anymore. Finally we brought up church. I said "why don't you come to our church and see for yourself that we
don't do any of those things?" He laughed and replied saying if he did he would be cursed and all that nonsense. So finally I said. "You're hearing it out of the horses mouth and you don't want to listen that's fine, but we have other people that want to listen to us." Shook their hands and left. So I guess it was kind of an eye opener that some people are really really close minded. And in those situations I don't want to waste time when there isn't even a slight chance that he'll listen to us.

Missionary work is tough, but so worth it. We have 3 people on date for baptism and more coming. So that was just a small highlight of things that happened to me this week. We are still working hard as ever and hope that all is well back home. I love you all very much and will write you next week.

Love from your Elder,

- Elder Caleb Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment